“Unconditional Life” has always been our goal and slogan. There is no greater way to make an impact to help animals than to adopt a vegan diet and lifestyle. Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude all forms of exploitation and cruelty to all animals.
Please share with us your favorite vegan recipes! We’ll periodically review and post select recipes on this webpage. You can send recipes along with photos to Tracy@sarasanctuary.org.
2 tablespoons olive oil
half an onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into about 5 cups of chunks or florets
1 cup cashews
1-2 teaspoons turmeric
7-8 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
a squeeze of lemon juice
Sauté: Heat the oil in a deep soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, cauliflower, cashews, and turmeric. Sauté for 10 minutes or until very fragrant.
Simmer: Add the water (start with 4 cups) and salt. Simmer until softened.
Blend: Transfer the soup to a blender and blend into a creamy consistency. It’s best to do this in batches.
Finish: Return to the soup pot and add any additional water (remaining 2-3 cups) if you need to thin it out. Also a good time to season with more salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Also a good time to top with spiced chickpeas and parsley and olive oil.
For the Spiced Chickpea Topping: Drain and rinse 2 14-ounce cans chickpeas. Spread them on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 400. Sprinkle chickpeas with a dusting of cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, salt, and/or any other spice combo you want. Drizzle with olive oil. Stir right on the pan, then roast for 30-40 minutes or until semi-crispy.
(Recipe courtesy of Lindsay from pinchofyum.com)
Blue Corn Tamales with Zucchini & Fresh Corn
2 cups Blue corn flour
1 1/8 cup Water
¼ cup Earth Balance
2 Tbs soft Organic coconut oil, not melted
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Baking powder
1 cup 3/8” Zucchini, diced
Fresh corn 1 ear cut from cob
½ tsp Chile powder
1 pinch Black pepper
¼ tsp Garlic salt, or to taste
¼ tsp Mexican oregano, crumbled fine
¼ tsp Cumin
Corn husks or parchment paper
- Place blue corn flour, baking powder and salt in stand mixer and mix together well.
- Add water and mix into a smooth dough.
- Add Earth Balance and coconut oil and whip for 6-8 minutes to lighten.
- Cut 8” parchment squares or use corn husks which have been soaked to make pliable.
- Mix zucchini, corn and seasonings together.
- Scoop 2 oz balls of masa onto parchment or husks. Spread out 4” x 4”/¼” thick.
- Divide corn-zucchini mixture down center of masa.
- Fold up sides till masa sticks together. Carefully roll up, tucking ends under.
- Place rolled tamales in a hot steamer with tucked end down.
- Steam for 30 minutes then leave covered for 10 minutes more.
- Remove husks or paper and enjoy.
Great topped with pico de gallo, avocado or Vegan sour cream and pepitas or your favorite hot sauce. Makes 8.
(Recipe courtesy of Chef Tudie Frank-Johnson)
2 Whole Cauliflower heads
1 Tbsp Olive oil
Sea Salt, pinch to taste
Black pepper, pinch to taste
¼ cup Vegan Mayonnaise
½ cup Panko Crumbs
4 Tbsp Vegan Butter
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
4 Tbsp Capers, drained
- Place oven rack 8” from broiler, preheat.
- Cut 4 – ½” “Steaks” out of center of cauliflower heads. Reserve fall off for other use.
- Brush each with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on sheet pan and broil for about 6 minutes, flip and broil 2 minutes more.
- Remove and spread each steak with 1 Tbsp of mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle the panko crumbs all over the steaks.
- Broil another 2-3 minutes on bottom shelf till bubbly and golden brown.
- Melt butter with lemon juice and capers.
- Plate two steaks on each plate.
- Top with lemon-caper butter.
Great served over pasta or mashed potatoes or simple green salad. Serves 2.
Chef Note: I prefer Earth Balance Butter and Just Mayo
(Recipe courtesy of Chef Tudie Frank-Johnson)
Chipotle BBQ Sauce
1 1/2 Lbs Roma Tomatoes
1 Large Onion
6 Cloves Garlic
1/4 Cup Chipotle Peppers, or more to taste
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Halve tomatoes, quarter onion and place on a baking sheet with garlic
- Roast at 400 for about 25 minutes or until tomato skins begin to blacken. Don’t peel.
- Place in food processor or blender with chipotle peppers. Blend until smooth.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well to incorporate.
- Place in a saucepan and cook until slightly reduced.
- Chill or serve right away.
2 cloves of garlic
flat leaf parsley
Put all ingredients in a pot of boiling water.
Add two tablespoons of tomato paste and one cup of rice
Heat for 20 minutes, then add a big tablespoon of olive oil and a little bit of lemon juice.
(Recipe courtesy of Sandra Richa)